Sunday, March 22, 2020

Milestone project 2 - final update

Unfortunately, the covid-19 pandemic school has been shut down, and any class that is 65% or over their assignments are now considered completed. I am sad and disappointed, but of course, I completely understand that these are extenuating circumstances. So this will be my final update for Milestone 2, at least for right now!

Last week I received my fancy new PCB based on my design in fritzing! It was pretty exciting to see it, and I hope to one day actually solder all the components on to it.


It's a good thing I labeled everything on the board, so later I'll know what to use haha.

I have also spent most of my time working in Rhino to later create the plans for the laser cutter to use.
I watched some videos on Lynda.com, which were helpful, but I still feel a bit at odds with the program. It's a learning curve for sure, and I would like to learn how to master it! I forgot to document my first attempt at creating the outer shell, but I will describe them here.

#1) I first tried to build the shell in the 3D perspective view but was having a heck of a time. Since this was part of the first time of using the program, I had a difficult time navigating the space and being able to tell distances between objects. So scrapped that whole file!

#2) Oh right, I should take photos! Realized how much simpler it would be to create the panels in 2D first then extrude, which meant working in top view was so much better! I don't usually make plans or schematics as a photo major; usually, I just keep it all in my head. I don't even sketch things out ahead of time, which I know is really uncommon for artists. So this was a  new experience on top of a unique experience, which meant that v2 had a lot of gaps, and overlapping at just would not work.


#3)  More tab location changes in this one. Also, I think I need to redo the back panel as it does not fit properly, which I don't understand why.


#4) This is where I stopped after hearing about the school closure, I haven't been very motivated in the last week to revisit, but will definitely want to in the future, just unfortunately without the help, time, and tools of the class.
I redid the back from scratch, and it still does not fit flush, so I will have to look into that more. 


I want the finished piece to be able to come apart into two sections for moving and storing the work. This is why you can see the dovetail in the two-floor panels and why the front top panel does not connect to the front panel of the second section. Since visiting the work in Rhino last week, something I have thought of is that I would like to add is 45-degree angle supports for the two top panels to give the structure extra support since it will not be one solid piece.

When I do get the chance to come back to this work, I will need to figure out how to decide on the measurements of the cams and slides. Maybe it would be a good idea to print out the box first then work on that part?

To anyone reading, thanks for taking the time! I hope you are staying safe and healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment